The scope of the responsibilities of the trustees, at minimum, shall include:
- Governance: Appointing and terminating the President of Parami University; providing guidance to the President; instituting the University Charter and its respective by-laws; etc.
- Mission: Furthering the vision, mission and values of Parami; instituting programs that will promote the vision, mission, and values; and overseeing the university is on a proper course of accreditation, etc.
- Finance: Fundraising on behalf of the University, making sure that Parami stays financially solvent; understanding the legal and financial liabilities of the Board of Trustees; establishing a mechanism of accountability; setting the strategic plan on development; approving the annual budget of the University submitted by the President or his/her team, etc.
- Environmental Relevance: Assuring Parami University’s good name and reputation; giving guidance on environmental and contextual relevance of Parami education;
- Self-assessment: Evaluating and adjusting as necessary the effectiveness of the governance; perpetuating the Board, implementing policies for the Board effectiveness, etc.
While the Board of Trustees has the ultimate authority over the management and the university, it is to be noted that day-to-day operations of the university rest with the management of the university.
The culture of the Board of Trustees as well as its interaction with the President and the senior staff and other members of the University community have far-reaching implications and effects on the University’s well-being and growth. The trustees of Parami University shall uphold the following seven qualities (R-O-E-F-A-R-E) which collectively constitute the Board Culture.
- Respect: The Trustees of Parami University shall be respectful of one another and to all they come into contact with in the execution of their office. They must respect each other's duties and responsibilities as delegated and agreed upon in standing or ad hoc committees.
- Openness: The Trustees of Parami University value open discussions and shall practice transparency when it comes to Board affairs and duties. When it comes to actual or potential conflicts of interest, best practices such as disclosure and recusal from voting must be observed.
- Equality: The Trustees of Parami University are equal members of the Board. Each trustee has the same rights and privileges as any other in voting rights and voicing opinions. Each trustee has one vote and only one vote regarding board decisions.
- Future: The Trustees of Parami University are future-oriented members of the Board. They must make decisions in a manner that promotes the sustainability and long-term growth of the University.
- Action: The Trustees of Parami University are action-oriented members of the Board. They shall take actions on tasks that are agreeably assigned to them or tasks that they voluntarily sign up for, with a high level of accountability expected on their part, without the need for significant follow-up from the University.
- Responsibility: The Trustees of Parami University are diligent. They observe deliberate and defined duties and undertake full responsibility for their decisions and actions, which have short-term and far-reaching impacts on the University.
- Ethics: The Trustees of Parami University shall be exemplary ethical leaders for the University Community. They make decisions and take actions with a strong sense of ethics and due diligence with the knowledge that each of their actions will reflect on the University.